This is not your basic double chocolate chip cookie. This cookie is a rich and chewy chocolate cookie with a just a little spicy kick.
Chipotle and a wide variety of other peppers have been added to chocolate for thousands of years. The Mesoamericans blended vanilla, annatto and honey with chili pepper and drank their chocolate drink cold! When Cortes took cocoa beans and chocolate making equipment back to Spain, some of the Mesoamerica spices didn’t match the European palate and sugar, anise, orange, nutmeg and cinnamon where added to chocolate and the drink was served hot. In recent years, chili peppers have been reintroduced back into the making of chocolate and have once again become very popular spice added to chocolate.
Double Chocolate Chipotle Cookies
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup American Heritage Historic Chocolate Drink Mix
1 teaspoon ground chipotle Chile powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature or ½ cup (½ stick) of butter flavor Crisco
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1bag) American Heritage Chocolate Bites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a food processor, pulverize the American Heritage Chocolate Bites into small mini chocolate chip pieces. Set aside.
- In microwavable bowl, melt the American Heritage Chocolate Drink in microwave for one minute. Stir until smooth, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter, brown sugar, and sugar until it is the consistency of wet sand and no chunks of butter are visible. About one minute.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition for at least 30 seconds
- Mix in vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients: flour, chipotle, baking powder, baking soda. Mixing on low speed until incorporated into the eggs and sugar.
- Mix in melted American Heritage Chocolate on high speed until well blended
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Drop heaping teaspoon of dough onto prepared baking sheet, leaving an inch or two of space between them.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set.
- Let cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
The blend of the American Heritage Historic Chocolate Drink with the added Chipotle Chili Pepper creates a cookie that is sweet, yet infused with warm spicy taste sensation. Not an overwhelming spicy kick but a nice pleasant burn on the back of your throat.
To order the American Heritage Chocolate Drink and other American Heritage products shop on-line at The Old North Church Gift Shop at: http://old-north-church-gift-shop.myshopify.com/