With summer in full swing, we’re making the most of long sunny days by spending plenty of time outside. Of course, we’ve been enjoying a little chocolate while we enjoy the fresh air, and although it’s hard to beat ice cream and popsicles on a hot summer day, s’mores are the perfect way to end a long day spent outdoors. This summertime classic is guaranteed to sweeten up an evening spent with friends and family gathered around a backyard fire pit or back at the campsite after a long day of hiking and swimming. Nothing says summer quite like s’mores!
These historic chocolate s’mores are assembled with chocolates handmade from American Heritage Historic Chocolate Drink Mix. The rich and spicy dark chocolate balances the sticky sweetness of gooey marshmallows and honey graham crackers to make one unforgettable fireside treat. The chocolates are prepared in just a few minutes, but should be made ahead of time so they have plenty of time to set in the fridge. Keep them cool in the fridge or cooler until just before you assemble the s’mores, so they don’t start to melt in the summer heat. One cup of American Heritage Historic Drink Mix makes about 12 s’mores-sized chocolate disks.
- 1 cup American Heritage Historic Chocolate Drink Mix
- 12 graham crackers
- 12 marshmallows
To make chocolates:
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave.
To use a double boiler, stir chocolate continuously until fully melted and smooth.
To use a microwave, heat half of chocolate until it is melted, about 2-3 minutes. Stir until it is smooth, and then stir in the remaining half of the chocolate until it is fully melted.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of melted chocolate onto a wax paper covered baking sheet. Swirl chocolate with the back of a spoon to create a chocolate disk about ¼ inch thick and 2 inches wide. Repeat until all melted chocolate has been used.
- Place chocolate disks in refrigerator until fully hardened. Store in refridgerator until s’mores are assembled.
- Break graham crackers in half and place chocolate disks on one half of each cracker.
- Slowly toast a marshmallow over fire until golden brown on the outside and melted on the inside.
- Place marshmallow on top of chocolate disk and top with remaining half of graham cracker. Enjoy!