With the days finally getting warmer here in Boston, we’ve started thinking about cool chocolate treats for hot summer days. These chocolate monkey bites combine bananas, peanut butter, and American Heritage Historic Chocolate into bite-size frozen snacks that are perfect for summer afternoons. The simple trio of ingredients delivers an irresistible sweet and nutty flavor along with an energy boost that will help you make the most of the long, sunny days to come
Requiring only three ingredients and no baking or blending, these bites couldn’t be simpler to make. Just remember to leave enough time for freezing after each ingredient is added. Make them ahead of time, store them in the freezer, and they’ll be waiting for you to grab one (or more!) whenever you need a cool chocolate treat this summer. This recipe makes about 16-20 chocolate monkey bites.
- 2-3 medium bananas
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup American Heritage Historic Chocolate Drink Mix
- Peel and cut bananas into round slices about ¼ inch thick. Spread in a single layer on a wax paper covered baking sheet. Place in freezer until frozen.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter on each of half of the frozen banana slices. Top with the remaining slices. Return to freezer until frozen.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave.
To use a double boiler, stir chocolate continuously until fully melted and smooth.
To use a microwave, work in smaller batches to ensure a continuous supply of fully melted chocolate. Split the chocolate drink mix into 2-3 portions and heat half of one portion until it is melted, about 2 minutes. Stir until it is smooth, and then stir in the remaining half of the chocolate until it is fully melted. Repeat with each batch as needed.
- Insert a toothpick into one of the banana and peanut butter stacks. Dip into melted chocolate and coat completely. Return to wax paper and remove toothpick. Repeat with each one. Return to freezer until frozen.
- Remove frozen chocolate monkey bites from wax paper. Store in a sealed container in the freezer until ready to serve. Enjoy!